Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring Fever!!

Is it just me or is everyone and their dog getting married?! It's insane!! I know a large number of people who are engaged or in great danger of becoming so very soon. It's almost like the latest fad of the season; it's a phenomenon that's sweeping my college!! People are saying that the marriage rates at Snow are nearing the percentage at BYU, a frightening thought! Just kidding, that's basically impossible. ;)

This engagement craze keeps bringing one image to my brain time and time again: Bambi. You know in Bambi when all the friends are walking along together and suddenly one by one they become twitterpatted and pair off with their girl counterparts? Well I feel as though it is definitely twitterpation season!! And I find myself in Bambi's shoes (7&1/2 in woman's) where he watches all his friends hook up and just shakes his head and continues onward, to later fall into the same trap by mistake. (I'm still safe, no one read into that weird!)



I've thought about this plague and I keep thinking to myself what can possibly be the cause of it? Do we still have some animal instinct in us to breed in the spring to better ensure our offspring's survival? If so, then in modern times do we find the other species more attractive come the approach of spring? Is it because the way the school year falls? One semester has already past where one can date and find their one and only, so spring marks the end of school and less stress which is a more logical time to marry. Maybe it's a chain reaction where one person gets engaged and everyone else takes note and starts to play with the idea within their own life causing a chain of engagements? Maybe it's a combination of many things?



In any case it's happening and I'm pretty shocked. I've thought about why I'm so concerned about this whole thing and I think that maybe it's not happening more this year than any other, maybe the only change is that this year I'm old enough to get married myself, so I'm more exposed to the situation. Hmmm... probably. That's a scary thought, but I'm safe...for now!


P.S. Congratulations on everyone who's engaged!! Megan, Bryant, Jordan, Jenika, Weipan, Erin, Miss. Stevens, Victoria, kid from band whose name escapes me, and Andrew!! Also congratulations for those people who are about to be engaged or told me of any plans... I won't say you're names but good luck, I hope it works out!!

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, I hope you put as much time into studying as you do writing on facebook & your blog. Have a great weekend! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I like how your name is "Kristamom" just in case anyone's confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of it this way - the whole purpose of attraction is to encourage reproduction so the species can survive. The best and safest time to have babies is in the Spring, when food gets plentiful again, the weather is nice and warm, the days are longer, and you don't have nasty cold and flu viruses going around. It takes at least 9 months to finish a baby, so starting to hook up in Spring gives you three months' leeway - voila! Evolution at it's finest.

    P.S. Pretty much everyone I know is having babies, (3 in my ward this week, and my BFF!) so that's my explanation.

    ReplyDelete